Senior/Principal Quality Engineer
Fast-growing team making classrooms better places, rated on one of the top independent non-profits that delivers evidence-based reviews of instructional materials, is looking for an experienced QA Engineer. This position will create devious test that uncover unexpected problems. You’ll be collaborating with developers, business owners, UI designers, customer service and other testers to get defects repaired. The ideal candidate has studied and practiced a variety of test techniques and methodologies, and is familiar with prominent voices in the online testing community. You can discuss the pros and cons of various automation approaches, and can utilize modern programming languages.
If you are a highly skilled, practical and proactive QA Engineer, with a passion for making classrooms better places for teachers and students, this is definitely the place for you.
Required Skills & Experience
- You are great at modeling, questioning, generating, explaining, and elaborating on test ideas.
- You can write SQL to verify data correctness, and are knowledgeable of other tools and techniques to help with data intensive testing.
- You can search through logs or crash reports to help isolate and identify the root cause of issues, and are comfortable doing this from the command line.
- You can make sense of large volumes of data to identify patterns which might be indicative of problems.
- You have the ability to think playfully about serious matters.
- You can make observations and assimilate them to a mental model of a situation, and change your mental model as new information becomes available.
- You are able to describe defects in sufficient detail for a developer to understand and reproduce, and for business owners to understand user impact.
- You know when automated testing is better than manual testing.
- You know when manual testing is better than automated testing.
- You have experience with distributed version control systems.
- You are listened to.
- You are skeptical.
- You are passionate about great software.
- You have strong user empathy and sense of UI aesthetic.
- You solve hard problems independently and collaboratively.
- You can see failure in success; and identity value in failure.
- You can stand up for what you believe is right; and back down for what you realize is wrong.
- You value critical thinking, curiosity, creative thinking, and analytical thinking. You are interested in metacognition and how it applies to software testing.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 3 years relevant experience ideal
- Some experience with non-relational storage technologies, data warehouses, and dimensional modeling is a bonus
- Knowledge of web services and Java is helpful too
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive 401K
- Excellent Health, Dental, and Vision.
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Mental Health Care
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Pension Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Stock Options
- And more