Director of Engineering
Senior Manager / Director, Software Engineering
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Who we are...
goBalto is about re-imagining how study teams get clinical trials started and done. We're building the modern way to work together; a fast and versatile web application that connects sponsors, CROs, and sites with what’s going on, their shared priorities, and who owns each part of the effort.
We're software engineering, clinical operations, and thought leaders from companies like Amgen, Genentech, Quintiles, Roche, Johnson & Johnson, CERN, McKinsey & Company, Intuit, Cisco WebEx, E*TRADE, Peoplesoft and Sun Microsystems. We're backed by Aberdare Ventures, Singapore EDBI, Qualcomm Life Fund of Qualcomm Ventures, West Health Investment Fund, and an experienced team of advisors.
Why we're here...
The clinical study startup process is awful. Existing tools used to track site activation tasks and documents are manual, bloated, and complex. To take the next step in clinical study productivity, we need a fresh start. We created goBalto to help take that step; to improve the productivity of sponsors, CROs, and sites, to ultimately get medicines to those in need faster.
The Senior Manager/Director, Software Engineering will be responsible for managing software development of goBalto SAAS products. This person will work with software developers, product management, QA, DevOps and other teams in coordinating and delivering features as part of our releases. This person will manage software engineers. This person must have past experience as a software developer and be able to roll up their sleeves and help the team as needed in building our products using technologies like Ruby on Rails, Node.js and Angular.js. You’ll work with a rock star engineering team that’s passionate about building the first study startup platform of its kind for our pharmaceutical clients. You must be willing to collaborate and help others on the team as necessary, and be a solid team player. This position is an individual contributor (no direct reports), and reports directly to the Sr. Director, Engineering. We’re based in the financial district near the Embarcadero.
What you'll do...
- Lead development teams and advance the state of the art in building SaaS products with Node.js, Ruby on Rails and AngularJS.
- Manage a team of full stack development on an SaaS enterprise application that’s streamlining workflow processes in an important industry.
- Work with other top-notch engineers, PMs and QA in our downtown San Francisco office (right near the Embarcadero station).
- Operate as a member of the goBalto agile development team.
Skills you have…
- Minimum of 3 years experiencing managing people.
- Minimum of 5 years experience developing applications.
- Must have full-stack development experience with technologies like Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Angular.js.
- Proven capability to lead development initiatives.
- Ability to motivate engineers to improve quality, etc.
- Strong background in overall software development processes.
- Demonstrated ability to technically lead projects, code reviews, etc.
- Git or similar distributed SCM tools.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable expertise and recent experience with the following is a plus:
- Enterprise SaaS architectures
- Service-oriented architectures
- Familiarity with cloud-based deployments
- Queuing and real-time streaming systems
- Not Just Another Social App - we’re building a meaningful product with the potential to speed the delivery of new medicines to market.
- Agile Bones - we promote an agile, test-driven engineering practice that emphasizes team collaboration through pair programming (where appropriate), daily stand-ups, retrospectives, etc.
- Technology You’re Already Passionate About, and Want to Do More With - we’re using technologies such as Node.js, Ruby on Rails, Angular.js, Storm, Redis, AWS, Cucumber, Capybara, Rspec, and more to build solid, well-tested, and beautiful web applications, and challenge our engineers to learn and do more with them.
What's in it for you…
- Become part of a team that's new, energized, and going places…fast.
- Grow and develop right along with goBalto.
- Earn a generous compensation package, including benefits from day 1.
- Medical, dental, vision care, commuter checks, FSA, and 401(k).
- Reap the fruits of stock options as a reward for your energy, contributions, and dedication.
- A PTO plan that starts accruing the moment you start.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. goBalto, Inc. will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the provisions of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance. #goBalto